The sculptress Marlene Neubauer-Woerner was born in 1918 in Landshut (lower Bavaria). In 1932 she attended the state school for ceramics in Landshut and completed her master of ceramics. She began the studiy of sculpture in 1936 at the academy of fine arts in Munich under the guidance of Josef Henselmann and Richard Knecht. At the academy she was the first woman to study sculpture in architecture.
In 1942 she married Heinrich Neubauer, who was her true companion for allmost 65 years.
Since 1945 Marlene Neubauer-Woerner lives as a freelance scultptress in Munich. 1947 her son Rainer was born. Since 1952 she has been a member of the Sezession, an association of artists in Munich and from 1958 a member of GEDOK, a German group of female artists. In 1978 she was honoured with the Schwabinger Kunstpreis and in 1984 she received the Bavarian Order of Merit. She was guest of honour at the Villa Massimo, Rome, in 1987. The cities of Cologne, Vienna, Paris and Athens have honoured her with their medals. 1978 and 1980 her two grandchildren Alexa and Christian were born. In 2008 the city of Munich honoured her with the medal of merit “Muenchen leuchtet - Den Freunden Muenchens” in silver.
Marlene Neubauer-Woerner died Jan 1. 2010 in Munich.
More detailed information about Marlene Neubauer-Woerner can be obtained in the download and books sections and in English through the Galerie Neubauer (email: Info@Galerie-Neubauer.de)
Marlene Neubauer-Woerner created the following works for the City of Munich:
For the Bavarian State: